Pages

Sunday 21 July 2013

The longest day of flying ever

So I left off when I was waiting for check in to open in Bristol. It finally did, and all of three check in agents were there for the massive queue that instantly developed. I stood in the line for a good half an hour before I finally got to the desk and then it was fine. She tagged my bag and told me I didn't need to see it until Atlanta when I'd need to recheck it for the domestic flight... As I am writing this at 35,000ft as we almost start the descent into my most visited part of Georgia (ironically) I have yet to make sure my bag is in the hold! 

Anyway, she also confirmed that I was granted two pieces of checked baggage which is novel. I can only presume Disney have a deal with Delta for their cruise CMs or something... I proceeded very quickly through security and then grabbed a croissant and a smoothie for breakfast. I only had to wait about 45 minutes before my gate appeared and then I walked a mile through Bristol's long corridors to my gate. We took off on time and arrived in Amsterdam a brief hour later.

I've never been to this airport before. First impressions were that it was very busy, very big and had quite a decent amount of things to see - shops, restaurants, bars, cheese shops and tulip stands. I was tempted to buy a pair of toy clogs as a joke present for Nick but my hand luggage was already weighing me down badly! I checked the screen and it said "proceed to gate" even though there was still more than an hour before the flight so I thought I'd better... Well when I got there, it appeared I had to go through security machines again before waiting in the gate. I don't know if that was because I was joining a flight to the USA or what... But they confiscated my water and I hadn't eaten, so I was hungry! Luckily I had some cereal bars stashed in my bag so I had one of them and then waited ages to get on the plane.

So then it was time for the Amsterdam to Atlanta flight which is the one I am currently on. We're just passing over Tennessee according to the map. It's been very pleasant actually, I'm surprised. Having never flown Delta before as long haul I was expecting less but they've lived up to the par of Virgin Atlantic. The food has been awesome! I had pasta with tomato sauce and cheese (definitely not as bland as it sounds!) with a salad, bread roll, cheese and crackers and a choc chip & orange cookie. They've done about 5 or 6 drinks rounds which was great and then about an hour before landing they gave us a hot 3-cheese calzone and a vanilla & chocolate ice cream pot! Yum! 

************

Well! I intended to finish this off later but I was getting tired and the day was just crazy. I got off the big flight and went through security at Atlanta with no problems... Picked up my bag and then rechecked it to go to the domestic terminal. Managed to grab a coffee and FaceTime my parents while I waited for the next flight and then boarded that plane for the last flight. Now of all things they could show on the screens for an American Delta flight from Atlanta to Orlando which is 90% full of Americans, what do they show?

Top Gear! 

Brilliant. So then I tried to nap unsuccessfully and eventually we landed in Orlando!! Going through customs in Atlanta meant that I got off the plane, picked up my bag and was out of the airport in about 15 minutes! Unfortunately, Nick was still driving back from school so I had to wait about 30 minutes for him but that was okay. It was very humid and warm outside so I waited inside for him and then when he turned up, Eric (his roommate) was with him which was a pleasant surprise! We drove to the all-star sports resort and I checked in but then we drove to McDonald's and I had a kids meal because I was that horrible post-flight, jet lagged, hungry but nauseous state. I felt a little better after food and we went to their house in celebration. We all chatted for a while and eventually I got to have a shower but didn't get to bed until about 1am... I was up for a grand total of 25 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment