Pages

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Chicken or beef?

So when I posted about the training for my WDW programs I always mentioned the constant word: "termination!" Well... On DCL it's called "chicken or beef?" because that's the options on the plane home...! And basically, the last two days has been constant things to do to avoid chicken or beef (or even bread and water - the drug and alcohol talk!) plus constant repetitive lectures about safety and assembly points. Thankfully, I think it's all in our heads now and we have one more test on Friday to test our knowledge. Tomorrow we are back at Port Canaveral and I will have completed my first cruise! But this means it's embarkation day for the guests so we have a more low key day in terms of training.

So, yesterday I didn't post because I was too tired... But we had a very long day of talks. In the morning it was mostly crew related information about the crew shop, activities, crew office and things like that. We got to have lunch at the guest restaurant Cabana's which was awesome! It was a buffet (standard lunch type restaurant you get on cruise ships but with Non-standard Disney food) and we had incredible views over Castaway Cay. It literally looked like a postcard... In fact, here's a picture!


Not bad huh!!

So in the afternoon we had our second long safety presentation which wasn't too bad. Then I had a brief gap before going to work for my second OTJ training day. As Cara (my trainer) had worked the late shift on the island, I had an hour alone before she came to join me at Mickey's Mainsail which is the store I work at... It was packed when it opened because it was pirate night and everyone wanted to buy their eyepatches and swords! Sooooo... I just jumped on the till. It's what I know haha. I survived with Rob helping me out with tricky guests and it was fun.

When Cara came down, we got to go to Deck 11 to watch the Pirates show with Mickey & Co which was great but hot in our jackets! Then we went back in (I got almost mown down by Mickey, Minnie and Goofy who just came off stage... Goofy showed me an awesome trick with his pirate scarf and Mickey had a very novel way of getting down the stairs, he's one efficient mouse!) and I did more general guest service/till. I finished at 10pm and quickly got changed before heading to the pool deck to go watch the fireworks!! I figured because I will be working every evening for the next 6 months, this was one of my only chances to see it... I finally found my way to Deck 11 after getting slightly lost in corridors of state rooms (I hardly know the guest areas of the ship because I'm never in them!) and got a spot to sit on deck. I watched the pirates show with Captain Jack and then the fireworks which was really good!! I was pleasantly surprised... I thought because it was at sea, it wouldn't be quite so extravagant as normal Disney fireworks but considering that fact, they were awesome and I even got some good pictures. After that, I came back to my cabin (after getting lost again!!! I ended up in the crew bar and then had to have someone guide me back to the I-95!) washed my hair and crashed out. 

Today I literally got up, had breakfast, sat in a classroom ALL day... Highlight was the child protection talk by a hilarious German officer and then we had to have mouth swabs taken for the mandatory drug test. We then had very dull first aid (only dull because I've done it so many times before) and then the Beasty 4 hour passenger safety lecture which was actually okay in the end. I passed the exam anyway. Now I am here chilling in my cabin and just discovered they have Twilight on demand on our TV yay! I am also praying that my sore throat today doesn't develop into a full blown cold....

No comments:

Post a Comment