Pages

Friday 26 July 2013

I survived my first cruise!

Well I manager to survive my first cruise without being late, oversleeping or getting too drastically lost. My sore throat has pretty much become a proper cold although yesterday I felt a lot worse than today. It wasn't a great day to be feeling ill because I had to get up at 5am in order to be at immigration at 5.30am. Basically we just had to take our passport up to the desk with the security officer at it, get them to take out the I-95 card and stamp it and then proceed on our way. DCL look after our passports the whole time we are here on contract so we get on and off the ship in US ports using the I-95 cards. Once that was done we got breakfast in the crew mess and then headed to work at 7.30am.

We were back in Port Canaveral (PC) which meant we had to process the stock that had arrived onboard. I was feeling pretty run down and sore throaty by this point and I didn't really know what was going on but I tried to keep up. Sunday's PC will probably be easier because I can see how it really works... You see, after a couple of hours of stock yesterday we all got dragged off to attend a one-off training session on.... Becoming a fairy godmother in training!!

They have the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique on the Disney Fantasy as well as in the Magic Kingdom and Downtown Disney and they've been a great success so they're hoping to put it on the Dream too. So we got to learn the basics of making a shorted version of the princess makeover as well as four pirate makeovers. We have a pirate night once a cruise on this ship so we all love swords, eyepatches and bandanas! I think this is all kicking off very soon so watch this space but we don't know much detail yet. Needless to say the training was hilarious... Me and Rob had to do scars on each other as well as glitter - everywhere!!

After this was done I had 5 hours off and so I went to Deck 14 and managed to talk to my mum on the phone. As we were in PC I could actually talk to her using my phone not Skype so that was nice. Then I went for a lie down because I felt pretty terrible. I managed to have about an hours nap and felt super rough afterwards. I was supposed to be talking to Nick at 4pm but he got delayed and then my signal was awful so we didn't really get to talk. I got food in the mess and then got ready for work. Work was okay... It was the first time I had my own zone to be responsible for so that was good and felt a bit more purposeful than ambling around like recently. It was also my first closing shift so it was good to see what a real shift is like. 

Afterwards, as it appears DCL life is... You just keep going! We finished at 11.30pm and then went to our cabins to change before going to the crew bar where we had a special merchandise party which had been arranged for a while. We had pizza, mozzarella dippers, nachos and salsa - amazing!!! Oh and the free alcohol lol. You usually pay in the bar obviously but because it was a special party we got it. Once you push through a certain level of tired you can just keep going haha. It was good to have the chance to chat to people though and then I called it a night at about 1.30am and got to bed at 2.

This morning it was back up for a very dull class on Environmentality at 8am, then Castaway Cay overview and Guest Service basics which were okay. Then we had to go to Deck 4 and watch a life raft demonstration which was quite fun to see it in person. Then we were done for training today! I have 6 hours off. Now that my passport is sorted I could have got off the ship today but I have stuff to do and we go to Nassau twice a week anyway. I got lunch with Sarah and picked up a castaway cay (CC) costume for next week when I will be working there and now I'm in my cabin watching High School Musical 3 :-) in a while when my roommate Cheyenne comes back we are going to go and do laundry. As she transferred here from the Wonder it means she doesn't know her way round either! 

Tomorrow is... WET DRILL!! 

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is so helpful, given me a fab insight of what to expect. I've recently been accepted as Guest Services- haven't got a start date yet so just playing the famous waiting game lol!

    ReplyDelete